About the Westport Fishermen's Association
WFA Celebrates 30 Years
The Westport Fishermen's Association begins its 30th year with the same goals as in 1983. The purpose of the Westport Fishermen's Association is to preserve, protect and improve the water quality of the Westport River, marshes, tributaries and all surrounding water.
The Westport Fishermen's Association is dedicated to advocating for the reduction of pollution in the Westport River.
The WFA provides scholarships for college bound students. The WFA also promotes river awareness by provide funding to local schools for the education of ongoing shellfish aquaculture programs in schools.
The WFA is dedicated to building awareness of the issues facing the Westport River and the watershed.
Highlights of our 30 years of work include:
- Funding legal action on pollution stemming from cattle feed lot.
- Supporting shellfish propagation;
- Establishing data bank on oyster propagation;
- Erecting a memorial for lost fishermen;
- Providing college tuition scholarships for high school seniors and continuing education scholarships;
- Guidance and support for local schools on marine environment and shellfish propagation;
- Generating a maritime history of Westport and making it available to the public at our Historic Horseneck Point LifeSaving Station and Visitor Center
Give us your Feedback! Email us with your comments on the issues facing the Westport River. We look forward to hearing from you!