Graduating High School Seniors:
Our 2013 Merit Scholarship application deadline has passed.
Next Deadline is April 30, 2014 for graduating high school seniors
The scholarship shall be designated a "Merit" scholarship.
Academic and citizenship criteria will be used, not financial need. A parent or grandparent who is and has been a member in good standing of the WFA for the previous three years must sponsor the applicant. A scholarship committee of three members will be appointed annually by the President.
Applicants for the continuing scholarship must maintain and complete a full time course load with a Cumulative Grade Point Average (Cumulative GPA) of at least 3.000.
Applicants will be eligible to receive the WFA scholarship for a maximum of 8 semesters or 4 years. The scholarship shall be awarded to the selected recipient when the Coordinator of the WFA receives a copy of satisfactory Term 1 grades.
Instructions for graduating high school students:
An application (available by contacting the WFA or check with your guidance counselor) must be completed, signed by the applicant and returned to the WFA by April 30, 2014.
The completed application must include the following:
- Completed, signed personal information sheet (reverse)
- Three character references from individuals who hold responsible community positions. It is strongly recommended that these include references from individuals familiar with your volunteer service. Relatives and friends are not appropriate references.
- Transcript of all courses completed.
- A current photograph suitable for publication.
- An essay written to address this requirement: The WFA's purpose is "to preserve and protect the Westport River's natural environment." Please write an essay describing your educational objectives and how your past and anticipated future activities may serve the interests of environmental preservation and protection.
Download the Application (PDF file)
Continuing Education Scholarship
NEXT DEADLINE IS July 31, 2013 (All applications must be received BY July 31, 2013)
- Open to College Sophomores, Juniors, & Seniors
- Must be sponsored by a parent/grandparent that has been a paid member for the previous 3 years and state the sponsor name.
- Must maintain a full course load with a cumulative GPA of at at least a 3.0 GPA and submit official transcripts.
- Must submit an essay stating progress towards academic goals and future aspirations.
This is a highly competitive scholarship. Notice will be given in August.